Sleep apnea is a condition that affects how you breathe at night while you’re sleeping. There are two main types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and central sleep apnea (CSA). Find sleep apnea solutions in Montreal to help you sleep better regardless of which type of sleep apnea you have.
Causes of OSA
OSA is the most common type of sleep apnea. It occurs when the airway is obstructed, which prevents you from getting enough oxygen at night. A sleep apnea test in Montreal can determine if OSA or CSA is causing your sleep problems. The main causes of OSA:
- Anatomy – the position of your neck, jaw, tonsils, and tissue in the back of your throat can cause obstruction.
- Obesity – being overweight can contribute to the narrowing of the airway.
- Smoking – heavy smokers have a higher rate of OSA than non-smokers.
- Sleeping on your back – the muscles and tissue around your airway collapse when you sleep on your back.
- Sedative use – when you use narcotics, alcohol, or opioids, the tissue in your throat relaxes, causing obstruction.
- Family history – people who have close relatives with OSA are more likely to develop it themselves
Fortunately, OSA is treatable. Find sleep apnea solutions at a Montreal clinic.
Causes of CSA
CSA is different from OSA because it’s caused by the brain, not an obstruction. CSA occurs when your brain doesn’t control the muscles you use for breathing, which makes you breathe shallower and slower. CSA is often a symptom of another underlying medical condition.
GRS Médical sleep clinic can answer all your questions about sleep apnea and help you get restful sleep. Contact us for more information.